How Well Does It Work
- Very successful for many !!
I have known people lucky enough to have an antidepressant work quick,
easy, first time, and long term with no other help or side affects.
- Not successful for everyone
- Lots to choose from
- Research is ongoing to produce new and better drugs with less side
- See links below or see my bookstore sections:
Psychotherapy / Counseling
- Can really get you through
- Probably best used with antidepressants
- For some people, can work as well as antidepressants
- Results similar to psychotherapy.
- Probably most effective in mild to moderate types of depression
- If a blood test shows you have low thyroid, estrogens, DHEA or
other hormones, replacing them can really help.
- The downside is that doctor appointments, supplements, and blood
tests are expensive & usually not covered by insurance.
- Can be used to improve the performance of antidepressants but ask
your doctor first!!
- There are some dangerous combinations of
antidepressants and amino acids, herbs, or even foods.
- Trouble is, your regular medical doctor may discourage you
with incorrect & uneducated
- Why ? Because most doctors have no interest,
education, training, or experience with clinical & therapeutic
uses of nutritional supplements.
- They will give you the infuriating, "exercise & eat
right" cliche' !
- And not only will they "not help you",
they will often display a "fear of the unknown" and
be against you.
- Thus, you may be on your own.
- You may be able to find a nutritionally oriented doctor in your
area through ACAM.org but
there is still no guarantee of their knowledge or experience using
- Regardless of the difficulty, it is best to find a doctor - hopefully
one you can work with.
- You may also want to read & learn what to take for yourself
from the many
books written for using nutritional supplements to treat depression, many
written by doctors.
- Read & Educate
Yourself about vitamins
- Be careful & responsible.
- Why ? Although supplements are far safer compared to drugs
- Supplements are powerful
- Supplements are unnaturally natural.
- Many are man-made versions of chemicals found inside us.
- They are therapeutic tools and could possibly cause harm
if carelessly used.
- You should know why you are taking each nutrient.
- If you don't know why you are taking a nutrient, you will
probably stop taking it thus lose the benefits.
- But... aren't you taking vitamins anyway ?
- Get some books and learn what to take.
Now ! - Having said all that...
This - Vitamins, Minerals, & Amino
Acids are exactly what
I have been using to save my life every day since 1990.
It's the only thing that makes sense for me.
And there have been some really great books written
in the past few years, written by doctors, which will make it easier
for you now than it was for me back then.
Please be sure to visit my Suicidal
Brain Repair Shop !!
the site of my new "Self-Help Treatment Manual" where I will share
with you what I take and how you can start right away.
- For mild to moderate depressions, doctors are recommending St.
- I have also heard that Ginkgo and Kava
Kava may have potential.
Electroconvulsive Therapy - E.C.T.
- I am personally completely against shock treatments.
- I know there are people it has helped.
- But it has also HURT a lot of people.
- Time & technology has improved its application, but the risk
for memory loss to me is much too great.
- A reputable TV show, did a program
- It showed a woman who lost 10 years of her memory from having
- And it didn't even help her.
- She was devastated. She could not remember her own children
- The same program showed another girl who had ECT and was depressed
again very soon.
- To me the success rate is not good enough to take the risk of losing
the memory of my life & family.
- I am sure there are some things in these areas which may ease the
way a bit, but I would not rely on them exclusively !
- Religions can have great support structures to help you through.
- Ask for help from fellow church members and/or your pastor / priest
- There are many Christian-based Depression & Suicide Hotlines
on the internet.
- It's my experience that most Christianity-based religions hold
the belief that suicide is the one unforgivable act because
you can't ask for forgiveness afterwards.
- I was in a religion for 8 longsuffering years. My belief structure
was so strong that it kept me from killing myself many times over
for which I am now very grateful.
- Remember - It's great to pray, but get chemical help anyway !!